Queries | Photos |
Obits | Links |
"Links to web sites that are not part of the USGenWeb Project are provided for your convenience and do not imply any endorsement of the web sites or their contents by The USGenWeb Project."
In Memory of Eugene Brewington
Oct. 3, 1914 - July 9, 2001
Eugene H. Brewington, 86, passed away Monday, July 9, 2001. He was born October
31, 1914 in Moko, Arkansas to Marion J. and Mattie Jane (Golden) Brewington.On
December 12, 1946 he married Willie Ector McCullar in Ada, OK. He honorably
served his country in the U.S. Army 1st Armor Division in Tunisia, Naples-Foggia,
and Rome-Arno. He attended OCU as well as the University of Oklahoma. After
40 years of service, he retired from SW Bell Telephone Co. He enjoyed Oklahoma
History, Genealogy, and compiled several books of family history as well
as researched the formers of the Oklahoma Constitution. He also enjoyed building
and making additions to homes. He attended Kelham Baptist Church. He was preceded
in death by his mother and father; brother, Q. R. Brewington; stepmother,
He is survived by his wife, Willie; sister, Beth; children, Cass Christian; Cherri; seven grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Funeral Services will be held Wednesday, July 11, 2001 at 10:00 a.m. at the Kelham Baptist Church. Interment will follow at Lightning Ridge Cemetery. Memorial
Contributions may be made to: Oklahoma Historical Society or Kelham Baptist Church Youth Group.
This is a listing of all of the Post Offices that were ever in operation in the area that is now included in Pontotoc County. Many of these were operated before the formation of the State of Oklahoma. At that time they were located in a different Pontotoc County, this county being a part of the Chickasaw Indian Nation.
The post-marks, or cancellation-marks during this period, was the name of the Post Office, Indian Territory. The common abbreviation for Indian Territory was "I.T." Thus, before statehood the post office, or mailing address, for Ada, was ADA, I.T. Most of them are no longer in existence.
The exact location of some of the Post Offices is uncertain, as many of them were moved, some of them being moved two or three times. They operated out of whatever kind of building the postmaster could provide. Sometimes it was from his home, sometimes a business, which was usually a general store. Oft-times when there was a change in postmasters, there was a change in the location of the Post Office.
The organization of Indian Territory was completed in 1866. The present Oklahoma, became a State in 1907. Thus, any Post Offices established before 1907, were in Indian Territory. Those established in 1907, or later, were in Oklahoma.
AHLOSO. 4 miles southeast of Ada. A post office from November 7, 1904, to June 30, 1917. The post office was formerly known as Ahlora, which is a Chickasaw word meaning "burnt place".
ALLEN. In the northeastern part of Pontotoc County, 19 miles northeast of Ada, the post office was established April 9, 1892. It was named for Allen McCall, son of a deputy United States Marshall. The first postmaster was John T. Gilmore.
BEBEE. Located 7 miles northwest of Ada, it was a post office from September 15, 1896 to February 15, 1928. Named for Frank Bebee, an official in the Post Office Department. The first postmaster was William H. Goodrich.
BLACKROCK. Located 11 miles northeast of Ada, the post office was established June 27, 1901. The name was changed to Steedman January 19, 1910. The first postmaster was William H. Duncan.
BURROW. Located in the extreme southeastern portion of the county, the Burrow Post Office was established September 26, 1908 with Charles W. Sharrock as postmaster. On March 14, 1918, the post office site was moved about four miles southeast, into Coal County. The Post Office was named for Henry Burrow, an early settler. The Post Office was discontinued June 15, 1926.
BYNG. 5 miles north of Ada, the post office was established December 15, 1917, and discontinued January 25, 1957. It was named for Sir Julian Byng, of the British Army.
CENTER. 6 miles northwest of Ada, this was a post office from June 9, 1890 to February 15, 1928. Located about midway between Pauls Valley, Wynnewood and Stonewall, it was a Court Center in Territorial Days. John A. Stark was the first postmaster.
DELIA. Located on the eastern edge of present Ada, this was a post office from January 13, 1906 to September 15, 1906. It was named for Delia Johnson, wife of Samuel Johnson, early-day resident. The first (and only) post-mistress was Mollie E. Miller.
DOLBERG. Located 4 miles west of Roff, it was a Post Office from November 18, 1895 until May 14, 1915. It was named by E.W. Westhoff, for his former home in Germany. Elbert W. Westhoff was the first postmaster.
DOT. Located a mile or so west of Roff, it was a post office from October 8, 1904 to April 15, 1905. The first postmaster was James R. Jones.
ELISE. 5 miles northwest of Ada, or about 4 miles east of Bebee. The post office was established May 23, 1916, with William R. Scales as postmaster. The post office was closed November 15, 1916.
FITTSTOWN. 11 miles south of Ada, the post office was established June 22, 1935. Named in honor of John Fitts, geologist who discovered the Fitts oil field.
FRANCIS. 7 miles northeast of Ada, the post office was established under the name of "NEWTON" on April 17, 1894. On June 5, 1902 the name was changed to Francis, in honor of David R. Francis, secretary of the Interior, under President McKinley. The first postmaster was William T. Meadors.
FRANKS. 8 miles southwest of Stonewall, it was a post office from February 1, 1894 to August 15, 1932. It was named for Frank Byrd, early day resident. Benjamin Frank Byrd was the first postmaster. He was a half-brother to Governor Byrd, governor of the Chickasaw Nation.
FRISCO. 2 miles south of present Stonewall, and at the location of the original site of Stonewall. A post office from June 13, 1906, to April 30, 1941. It was named by the towns-people under the mistaken impression that a railroad under construction by the Oklahoma Central Railway was the Frisco Railroad. the first postmaster was Benjamin F. Abernathy.
HARDEN CITY. 11 miles south of Ada. The post office was established May 7, 1937, during the Fittstown area oil boom. It was named for Andrew Harden, a local Indian land-owner. The post office has been closed, but can not locate closing date.
HART. 3 miles southwest of Vanoss. A post office from June 28, 1894, to September 30, 1920. It was named for John A. Hart, the first postmaster.
HORSESHOE RANCH. 5 miles east of Hickory, it was a post office from July 13, 1916, to January 14, 1922. It took its name from the nearby Horseshoe Ranch. The first postmaster was Y.Q. McCammon. Allie Harris was the last postmistress.
INGRAM. Near Roff the post office operated from December 9, 1899, to November 30, 1900. It was named for Theodocia L. Ingram, the first postmaster. The town no longer exists.
JESSE. 6 miles south of Stonewall. The post office operated from July 13, 1898 to November 15, 1917. It was named for Jesse Ayaktubby, local young Chickasaw lad. The original spelling was JESSE. Charles T. Aston was the first postmaster.
LAWRENCE. 3 miles northeast of Fitzhugh. The post office was originally established under the name of "OOLITE', which is a type of limestone. The post office was established May 1, 1906, with Edward L. Reed as postmaster. The name was changed to Lawrence, on June 27, 1907, with John E. Waddill as postmaster. The post office was closed March 15, 1935. The name "Lawrence" was in honor of Joe Lawrence, a local land-owner. The nearby quarry provides limestone for the manufacture of cement at the Ideal Cement Company, in Ada.
LULA. The town was formerly known as Scottsville, and also as Moller. The name was changed to Lula, when the town of Scottsviulle was moved 1 1/2 miles to its present location. It was name for Lula Scott, wife of John Scott. Lula School was formerly known as Big Chief School. The Lula post office was established December 12, 1902, with George A. Cox as postmaster. The post office was closed November 30, 1955.
MAXWELL. 6 miles southeast of Asher, the post office here operated from February 14, 1896 to October 15, 1929. William Hartley was the first postmaster.
McKENNEY. 3 miles east of Stratford. A post office from June 22, 1892 to November 15, 1893. No longer in existence, it was named for James. E. McKenney, the first postmaster.
MIDLAND. Located about 1 1/2 miles southwest of Vanoss, the post office was established September 25, 1897, with William A. Balmain as postmaster. With the coming of the railroad, the post office was moved to present Vanoss January 2, 1908.
MOLLER. See: LULA.
NEWTON. See: FRANCIS.
OAKMAN. 5 miles northeast of Ada. The railroad name of the town was RAINEY. The post office operated from December 24, 1896, to June 30, 1929. Silas Heflin was the first postmaster. The name of the town was from the town of Oakman, in Walker County, Alabama.
OOLITE. See: LAWRENCE.
PICKETT. 5 miles west of Ada. A post office from January 27, 1913, to January 15, 1916. The place was first known locally as "Center Switch".
RAINEY. See: OAKMAN.
ROFF. Southwest of Ada, the post office at Roff was established June 14, 1890. The town was named for Joseph T. Roff, local rancher and cattleman. Joe Roff was the first postmaster.
SCOTTSVILLE. See: LULA
STEEDMAN. Originally established as BLACKROCK, the name was changed to STEEDMAN, January 19, 1910. The post office was discontinued February 15, 1932. The area was known locally as "Ford's Switch". It was named for E.L. Steed, Ada business leader.
STONEWALL. 13 miles southeast of Ada. The original site was at the location of present-day FRISCO. The post office was established Dec. 30, 1874. It was named for the Confederate General, T.J. "Stonewall" Jackson. The first postmaster was Thomas J. Phillips.
TYROLA. 10 miles north of Ada. The post office operated from May 4, 1896, to April 15, 1922. The name was coined with reference to the Tyrol, a region in Austria. Robert B. Wright was the first postmaster.
VANOSS. The post office was established January 2, 1908, an outgrowth of Midland post office. James W. Bohannon was the first postmaster. It was named for S.F. Van Oss, of the Hague, Holland. He was a director of the Oklahoma Central Railroad, which once ran through Vanoss. The postoffice was closed, but do not have date of closing.
VICTOR. 5 miles south of Harden City. It was a post office from February 21, 1894, to April 4, 1899. No longer in existence, it was named for Alfred Victor, early-day resident.
YORK. 7 miles east of Hickory. The post office was established August 17, 1894, and ceased operation April 30, 1914. It was named for Joseph F. York, the first postmaster.
Updated on 11/29/11
|USGenNWeb NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.|