Mayes County

OKGenWeb

Mayes County
County Seat -
Pryor
 

USGenWeb
Home |Archives  | Cemeteries | History | Lookups | Obits | Queries | Resources | Additional Links

"Links to web sites that are not part of the USGenWeb Project are provided for your convenience and do not imply any endorsement of the web sites or their contents by The USGenWeb Project."

Samuel Wesley Haymes
 

Microfilm #IPH-31
Volume 92, page 328
Haymes, S. W.
Interview #13278
By: Loudolphus D. Maybee
March 16, 1938

(NOTE: items marked * is information derived from other sources)

S. W. (* Samuel Wesley) Haymes was born in Webster County MO April 6, 1891. He married Etta
(* Belle) Rogers and they have five children.

Trails

S. W. Haymes came to the Territory with his parents. They traveled in four wagons and had five teams. They came by the way of the Military Trail which was the only trail through this part of the country. At the time they settled  on Markham Prairie, there was only two fences between them and the Kansas state line.

Supplies

They got their corn ground meal at Flint Mill, Arkansas. They mixed corn meal and flour all together. They ( * the mill) took a toll of  the meal for their fee for grinding. The family killed prairie chickens and deer for their meat and the rest of their food was raised on the farm.

Schools and Church

S. W. Haymes attended a subscription school taught by Mrs Bryant in the south part of what is now Pryor OK. They also went to church at this same schoolhouse. He attended this school three or four terms of three months each, paying $1.00 per month.

Farming

He made his first crop with three yoke of oxen, because horses could not live and work on prairie hay.
  .

Bridges and Fords

There was a ford on the Military Road crossing Rock Creek. The first bridge was at Squaw Hallow and the next one was Hogan's Bridge, located across Pryor Creek.

First Train Depot

The first depot here in Pryor was called Kyugay (* Coo-y-yah), the Cherokee word for "huckleberry". It was called this because the Indians sold huckleberries to the railroad section hands. Then the railroad company built a depot which was named Pryor Creek. After statehood the town became known as "Pryor" (* but by a vote of the citizens they retained the official name of the town as "Pryor Creek").

Experiences

S. W. Haymes was hunting prairie chickens one day when he saw attempt to rob the train at Squaw Hollow. In the  ensuing gun battle one of the robbers was shot. They got Dr. Adair at the town of Adair, blindfolded him and brought him down  to treat the wounded man and then gave the Dr. $25.00 and put him on the train and sent him on home.  S. W. Haymes was also present when the Starr boys held up the train at the Pryor depot.

  (* NOTE: for additional information on the Haymes family from Webster County MO, contact Charlene Hook )
 


This page was last updated on 03/31/09

Mayes Co


God Bless America

Hosted & 2018 by:
OKGenWeb

OKGenWeb State Coordinator
Linda Simpson
Asst: Mel Owings
1996-Present ~ All Rights Reserved

NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.