part of the OKGenWeb and USGenWeb Project
|Home | Cemeteries | Census | Lookups | Master_Index | Obits | Photos | Queries | Resources | Surnames | Towns in Atoka Co. | State Resources|
Cemeteries of Atoka County, Oklahoma
|NOTE: this list is a work in progress. If you can add any information, please let me know.|
|If the link is on the name, the cemetery is on this site, if the link is in the description the link is offsite.|
|"B" Street Graves
See Middle Boggy Cemetery
|Balls Chapel Cemetery||The Balls Chapel Cemetery is
located on private property, west of Atoka, OK. It is located in a wooded
area just south of the Truett home and contains 15 graves and approximately
68 unmarked graves. It was Canvassed in 1979.
Bentley Indian Cemetery
The cemetery is kept in excellent condition.
It is financed by donations from families having loved ones buried there.
Each year on Mother's Day, people gather for the purpose of decorating
the graves. A covered dish dinner is held at noon on this day, and in
earlier years, a church service and group singing was observed. The church
service is no longer held, and the day is spent in visiting and reminiscing.
|Bethany Cemetery||Location of this cemetery, go 1 1/2 miles east of the stoplight on Court and Mississippi Streets in Atoka to the Forest Hill Road. Turn south and go 5 1/2 miles to the General Assembly (Church of the First Born) Church and turn west .3 miles. The cemetery is on the south side of the road. It is well kept, and is still an active burial place. The first grave dated here is 1904. It was canvassed in 1980, contained 98 marked graves, and 70 unmarked ones.|
|Bethel Cemetery||Located approximately 10 miles north and 8 1/2 miles west of Stringtown, Oklahoma, near the Wardville community. It is behind an old abandoned church house, but the cemetery is well kept, it is assume it is still active as the last dated burial on a stone is August 4, 1975. It was canvassed in 1980, contained 30 marked graves, and 33 unidentified ones.|
aka Isaac Billy Cemetery
Location:1 to 1 1/2 miles east of Daisy Oklahoma on highway, then one mile north, on the Isaac Billy Ranch. Well marked by a large white metal archway with the name of the cemetery. The area is enclosed by a chain-link fence, it is well kept, and is still in use. It was canvassed in 1980, contained 28 marked graves and 5 unmarked graves.
|Boggy Bend Cemetery||This little abandoned burial site is west of Fred's Fish Camp near Atoka Lake. It is fenced, but the fence is in bad need of repair. It was canvassed in 1979. At that time four stones were found and a number of unmarked graves. When compared with information of Miss Mildred Toaz who canvassed the site on October 5, 1957, we found that she had recorded nine grave which we did not find|
|Boggy Depot Cemetery||http://files.usgwarchives.net/ok/atoka/cemetery/boggy1.txt also http://files.usgwarchives.net/ok/atoka/cemetery/boggy.txt|
|Buffalo Indian Methodist Church Cemetery||Location: From the stop light at the corner of North Mississippi and Court Streets in Atoka, go east 5.2 miles, turn south .03 of a mile, and turn back east. The Buffalo Indian Methodist Church is the first one the left. The cemetery is located just west of the church. The cemetery is in poor condition, overgrown, and unkept, and the fence in poor repair. The last burial was in 1978, so it is assume that it is still in use. Canvassed in 1982. In addition to twelve identified graves, contains at least five which are unidentified.|
|Butler Cemetery||Location: Two miles east of Lane, Oklahoma on the south side of Highway 3 &7. It is fenced, well kept and is still in use. It was canvassed in 1908, contained 350 marked graves and 55 unmarked graves.|
|Cairo Cemetery||Location: Coal County just over the Atoka County line, still is a active cemetery. Many former Atoka County residents are interred there because of the location being on the county line. Location is southwest of Wardville, and most anyone in the Wardville community can give direction to the cemetery. Canvassed in 1983, contained 199 identified graves and 39 marked graves with no identification.|
|Caney Hill Cemetery||Location: Approximately 1/2 mile west and 1/4 mile north of Bentley, OK., next to the Caney Hill Indian Church. It is not fenced, but is still in use and in fair condition. It was canvassed in 1980, and at that time contained 30 marked graves and at least 10 unmarked graves.|
|Center Hill Cemetery||[off site link to Johnston
Co. - cemetery is in Atoka Co.
Location: From the stoplight at the corner of Court St and Mississippi Avenue, in Atoka, go south on Hwy. 69, 11 miles, then north 1/2 mile. This cemetery in the extreme southwest part of Atoka Co., is active, well fenced and a well kept burial site. The Cemetery is behind a little white church. It was canvassed in 1981. Contained 266 marked graves and 75 unidentified graves.
|Coal Creek Church Cemetery||Located just west of the Coal Creek Indian Church, north and west of Atoka. It contains 10 marked graves and a few unmarked ones. The cemetery is still in use with some rather resent graves there. It was canvassed 1979.|
|Columbus Rose Cemetery||Columbus Rose is not an official name, but is referred to as Columbus Rose Cemetery, as it contains only four graves, all children of Columbus and Nettie Rose. To reach this burial site, go 6.3 miles west of Atoka on Hwy. 7, turn north for one mile, and back west 1/2 mile. The graves are in the middle of the pasture. They are not fenced, and all the stones are now lying flat on the ground. It was canvassed in 1979.|
|Confederate Memorial Cemetery
See Middle Boggy Cemetery
|Crystal Cemetery||Location: Three miles east and five miles south of Lane, Okla. It is still in use, fenced and well kept. Canvassed in 1980 contained 115 marked graves, and approximately 80 unmarked graves.|
|Darwin Cemetery||Location: 23 miles east of Atoka on Highway 3 & 7, established in 1906. The site, on the south side of the highway, is in Pushmataha County, but due to the fact that it is just about a mile east of the Atoka-Pushmataha county line, many people resided in Atoka County are interred there. It was canvassed on 1985, contained 705 identified graves.|
|Double Springs Cemetery||Location: From the Stop light at the corner of Court Street and North Mississippi Avenue, go 9.4 miles east and turn left on the blacktop street in Lane, OK. Continue along this street a short distance until you reach Double Springs Indian Church on the left side of the road. Follow the road on you right as you face the church. At the end of the road is the burial site which is still being used. It was canvassed in 1983. Contained 10 identified graves and 10 unidentified graves.|
|Doyle Cemetery (Old Indian Cemetery)||http://files.usgwarchives.net/ok/atoka/cemetery/doyle.txt
Known as an old Indian cemetery. The one broken granite stone that was found, is the only tombstone that anyone remembers, but they did remember that there were at one time several rock walled graves. Canvassed in 1993.
SECTION 1, T-1-N, R-13-E This cemetery was about 1/4 mile west and a little north of Olen "Buster" Patterson's old home. It was known as an old Indian Cemetery. The one broken granite stone that was found, is the only tombstone that anyone remembers, but they did remember that there were at one time several rock walled graves.
|Dulaney Chapel Cemetery||Location: West of Atoka, Oklahoma.
Go west on Hwy. 7 approximately 3 1/2 miles to the Carr loading pens. Turn
south for approximately 1/4 mile to the gate on the left side of the road.
The cemetery is located about 1/2 mile east of the road in the middle of
a hay meadow. There are 22 marked graves and approximately 21 unmarked ones.
It was canvassed in 1979.
The ground for the Dulaney Chapel Cemetery was purchased from a man named Beaulo? Marson. Laura Copeland's, father, Mr. Wm. E. Wallace and a Mr. House, who later moved to Texas, went together and purchased the land from Mr. Marson.
|East Allison Cemetery|
|Folsom Cemetery||Location: To reach the cemetery, (sometimes referred to as Liberty Cemetery), go three miles south of the Caney turn-off on Hwy. 69 and turn east about 1/2 mile. The cemetery is next to the road on the south side. Part of it is surrounded by chain-link fence. This section is very well kept. The other sections are in fair condition. Both sections are still in use. There are 108 marked graves and at least 45 unmarked ones. It was canvassed in 1980.|
|Goodland Cemetery||Location: This burial ground is abandoned, and very little evidence remains. An Indian Church once stood at this location, which is south of the Redden schoolhouse. Evidence of only three graves, the stones broken and scattered. It was canvassed in 1981.|
|Greenhill Negro Cemetery||Location: This cemetery is located at the extreme east end of East First St., and lies between Dickerson and McClendon Avenues in Atoka. It is still active, and on the date it was canvassed, was well fenced and well kept. It was canvassed in 1980, and on that date contained 187 marked graves and 222 unidentified ones.|
|Green Meadow Cemetery|
See Middle Boggy Cemetery
|Harmony Cemetery||To reach this old burial site, go four miles east of Atoka on Hwy. 3, & 7, turn south 1 1/4 mile, then back east for 1/ 2 mile. It was used by the Harmony and Bruno communities until 1912 when a new owner of the property refused to allow further burials there. This necessitated the start of Bera Cemetery. It was canvassed in 1957, and since that time, some dozer work has been done in the area and many of the stones destroyed.|
|Hebrew Cemetery||Abandoned Cemetery known as Hebrew Burying Ground, a cemetery of one acre set aside by the Government and named after a Baptist Choctaw Indian Church. This church and the cemetery were named Hebrew Baptist Church and they date back as far as the Civil War but the exact date of the organization is not known. The church was started by such men as Benjamin, John, Logan and Benjamin F. Baker Jr., (son of Benjamin Baker, Senior) and Simon and Dickson FRAZIER. It is known that it was organized in 1879 and that meetings were held regularly here until abandoned in 1898, the members all having either died out or moved away. Only one member, Dickson Frazier, was living when Jimmie DOCTOR, the minister, was pastor, but now both of them have died and the church is no more. There is nothing to show where the old church stood, as sprouts and bushes have grown several feet high and the cemetery is likewise overgrown. There is no fence around the cemetery and the only work that has been done was in 1934 by the F.E.R.A. Relief workers under foreman, Robert Noah. (Information from the IPP interview of James Baker)|
|Hobo/Transient Cemetery||http://files.usgwarchives.net/ok/atoka/cemetery/hobo.txt SECTION 27, T-1-N, R-12-E There was a train wreck in which several people may have been killed, no personnel of the railroads were killed. Two unidentified hobos that were riding the rails were killed and buried near the railroad track. These graves are north of the correctional institution at Stringtown, in Atoka County, Oklahoma. The area is within a white board fence; one grave faces east and one grave faces south, both have sandstone markers. The above information was given to J.W. Stephenson by Jack Barlow, "Katy" agent in North McAlester, Oklahoma. Jack believed the accident was around 1920.|
|High Hill Cemetery|
|Isaac A. Billy Cemetery
see Billy Cemetery
|LaFlore-Limestone Gap Cemetery||http://files.usgwarchives.net/ok/atoka/cemetery/laflore.txt
SECTION 30, T-2-4, R-13-E: This cemetery is 8 miles south of Kiowa in Atoka County and about 100 yards west of Highway 69. Charles LaFlore purchased the toll bridge on Limestone Creek from Mr. Thompson. LaFlore built a large two-story house on the west side of the natural gap in the limestone ridge.
(See Folsom Cemetery)
|Limestone Gap Cemetery||Location: Cemetery is 8 miles south of Kiowa in Atoka County and about 100 yards west of High 69. Canvassed in 1993, there are 36 unidentified graves. This cemetery is large and over grown. Many rock marked, and sunken graves.|
|Lone Star Cemetery Inscriptions||http://files.usgwarchives.net/ok/atoka/cemetery/lonestar.txt
Lone Star Cemetery is about 6 miles North of Cottonwood on Hwy 31, 2 miles East, 1 North, 1 East, then North on right hand of road. Canvassed by Elsie Rumley and Joyce Rumley Wilson June 1984. Information on unmarked graves contributed by Mrs. Ellie Pickens and husband of Coalgate. This list was compiled from two lists ,this one and the one from 1983 by Janice Allen, Gwen Walker and Evelyn Youngbllod. This Cemetery is in Coal County but is on the line and many Atoka County residents were buried here. The cemetery is still in use.
|Lonestar Cemetery||This Cemetery is in Coal Co., but is very near the Coal and Atoka County line. Many Atoka Co. residents were buried here. The Cemetery is still in use.|
|Lonestar Indian Cemetery||Location: From Wardville, located in the northern part of Atoka County, go 1/2 mile west and turn right (north). Continue north for four miles until you reach the Lone Star Indian Church and Cemetery. The burial ground is located on the right next to the road. It is very well kept and is still being used. It was canvassed in 1983, contains 15 identified graves and 16 unidentified ones.|
|Macedonia Negro Cemetery||Location: From the stop light at the corner of Court Street and North Mississippi Avenue in Atoka, go north 1/4 miles and turn west. Go west 1/2 mile, turn north .08 mile, and then back west. Continue on this road until you reach the Coal Creek Indian Church, then turn left and go 1 mile. Turn left again, and continue straight ahead, past the section line which turns to the right. The road develops into more of a lane, but you continue on it until you reach the cemetery site on the left. The cemetery is in poor condition, overgrown with grass and underbrush. This cemetery was canvassed 1983 and contained 17 identified graves, and an estimated 10 to 25 unidentified graves. Because of the condition an accurate count of the unidentified graves was impossible.|
|Maytoy Cemetery||Canvassed 1979, contains 66 marked graves, and at least 11 unmarked ones.|
|Maytubby Cemetery||This cemetery is abandoned in a pretty heavily wooded area. It is located approximately 3/4 mile northwest of the abandoned Maytubby schoolhouse, and is believed to be primarily Indian burials. Without help from someone knowning the area, it would be very difficult to find.Take Hwy. 69-75 south approximately 12 miles from Atoka, and turn west at the "Old Ponderosa" corner. Continue west approximately 7 miles, turn south for 3 miles, east 1 1/2 miles, and back north approximately 2 miles. Canvassed 1980, contained 12 identified graves, and 16 unidentified ones.|
|Middle Boggy Cemetery|
|Mt. Olive Cemetery|
|Mountian Home Cemetery||Location: 1 1/2 miles east of Daisy, Oklahoma on State Hwy 43. It is enclosed by a chain-link fence and is well kept. The cemetery is still in use.|
|New Zion Cemetery||Location: Beginning at the stop light on Court & Mississippi Streets in Atoka, go east on Hwy. 3, 1 1/2 miles to the Forrest Hill Road. turn south four miles, then west .3 mile. The cemetery is on the south side of the road next to the New Zion Methodist Church. The cemetery is very well kept and is still active. It was canvassed 1980, contained 184 marked graves and 31 unmarked ones.|
|Nix Cemetery||Location: Go south approximately
2 1/4 miles south of the Caney turn-off on Hwy. 69. Turn east and follow
the road to the Whitmire farm. The cemetery is located a short distance
southwest of the home in their pasture. The condition of this burial place
is very poor. It is not fenced, and many of the stones are broken , many
have been knocked down and are lying face down on the ground. Foot stones
with initials are scattered all over the site, some distance from their
matching headstones. Many of the stones are large, impressive ones which
would indicate many of these people were once prominent in their community.
The cemetery is located in a grove of oak and cedar trees, when canvassed there was 6-10 inches of oak leaves on the ground. This made an accurate count almost impossible, as there could have been stones and unmarked graves under the leaves. Canvassed in 1980, 32 gravestones.
|Old Buffalo Cemetery||Location: This cemetery is located on the farm owned by the Armstrong's. From the stoplight on Court & Mississippi Streets in downtown Atoka , go five miles east on Hwy. 3 turn south 3 mile, then back east approximately 1/2 mile. The graves are on the south side of the road directly south of the Armstrong home. The cemetery was known as the Buffalo Cemetery until the Buffalo Indian Church was built across the road north, from that time on a location west of the church was used cemetery. The old site has five marked graves, one foot stone with initials for which a headstone was not found, and three unmarked graves. Canvassed 1980.|
|Old Cemetery Near Garside House||There are only five headstones
with legible names, four which have readable dates. Names are:
M. T. Thomas
Frances E. wife of Thomas N. Kennedy
Little Hannah daughter of J. J. and M. E. Williams
Mary A. Beck
Lena (rest of stone broken)
Information submitted by Glenn Kennedy 10 July 2002
Location: 10 miles south of Atoka traveling on Hwy. 69-75, and 3 miles west of Voca Road. Turn right at the Perkins Cemetery sign, and go 1/4 mile north. The cemetery is in use. There are 208 marked graves, and numerous unmarked graves. Canvassed 1988.
|Redden Cemetery||Located on Hwy 43 between Daisy and Stringtown. Small but well kept, stones did not appear to be very old.|
|Salem Church Cemetery||http://files.usgwarchives.net/ok/atoka/cemetery/salem.txt|
Location: Section 12, T-1-N, R-13
Canvassed in 1993 All graves are enclosed with in an iron Fence.
|Skullyville Cemetery||Location: In LeFlore Co. Oklahoma, the first burial ground of the Choctaw west of the Mississippi.|
|Standing Rock Cemetery||Location: The old Standing Rock Cemetery is located west of Atoka, Oklahoma. It is located in a wooded area contains 15 marked graves and approximately 22 unmarked ones. It was canvassed in 1979.|
Location: Stringtown, Atoka Co. Oklahoma, this cemetery is still in use. Located on the south end of Stringtown on Hwy 69, on the west side of Highway.
|Unknown Cemetery||This cemetery is located on the farm of Benny Wyrick III, it is abandoned and all stones are either unreadable or broken. There are at least 15 marked with simple small rocks with no writting.|
|Valley View Cemetery|
see Bera Cemetery
|Ward Family Cemetery||http://files.usgwarchives.net/ok/atoka/cemetery/ward.txt
Location: Section 2, T-5-N R-15-E, in Atoka County, Oklahoma. South of Kiowa, near Buck Creek, east of Highway 69, under railroad trestle, between Stringtown and Kiowa. All stones have been broken and most have been cemented back together. The cemetery is private property. The cemetery contains 15 unmarked graves
|Ward Cemetery Abandoned||Location: This abandoned cemetery is located on the Kelley ranch, approximately 1 1/4 miles southeast of Wardville. The cemetery contains several vault-like structures made of native rocks, but is in a heavily wooded area which is open to livestock, and is in very poor condition. The cemetery was canvassed on 1980. At that time, 15 graves were located. There may have been some unidentified ones which were obscured by leaves and overgrowth. Wardville purportedly was named for Samuel Ward who was buried at this site in 1877.|
|Wards Chapel Cemetery||Location: Approximately 5 3/4 miles west of Atoka on Hwy. 7, and 1/2 mile south. It is well fenced and very well kept. It is still in use, and 1980 when it was canvassed, contained 214 marked graves, and at least 40 unmarked ones.|
|Wardville Cemetery||Location: As you enter Wardville on Main Street, go north to the Community Building (old stone school building) at that corner there is a sign Wardville Cemetery, turn west and follow road until you get to the cemetery.|
|Wells Street Cemetery|
See New Zion Cemetery