|This material is donated by people who want to communicate with and help others. Every effort is made to give credit and protect all copyrights. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material can not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.|
Contributed by Joan Thurman Case email@example.com
Tulsa's first public school was opened in 1885. It was located south of 4th St., between Boston & Cincinnati Ave. and operated originally as a Presbyterian Mission School charging $1 a month. In 1889 the town bought the church's "Squatter's rights" in the school property for $1,050. In 1902 title to the block where the school stood was obtained from the Creek Indians for $4226.43 under treaty provisions permitting persons not member of the tribe to acquire land within the corporate limits of municipalities.