Other Resources

Oklahoma USGenWeb Archives logo

Funeral Homes of Oklahoma logo

Indian Pioneer Papers logo

Oklahoma Lawmen & Outlaws logo

Oklahoma Land Openings logo

Oklahoma Marriages logo

Oklahoma Military logo

OKBits logo

photo gallery logo

Oklahoma Cemeteries

OK Success Stories

OK Reunions

Maps 'N" More


Guion Miller Apps

Residents of
Canadian County

W.B. REED, 1105 East Cavanaugh Street. Has lived in Canadian county since
coming here July 15, 1889 from Kansas by the covered wagon route.

MRS. JOHN ERBAR, El Reno, made her home until a few months ago on a farm she
and Mr. Erbar homesteaded nine miles southwest of El Reno Jan. 10, 1894; is
70 years of age and lives at 817 South Ellison Ave.

JOHN ANDERSON, Calumet, Born in Denmark April 11, 1853; came to America in
1885 to be joined eight months later by wife and three children; settled in
Oklahoma in 1893 and lived on farm northeast of Calumet until death of wife
in 1917 when he moved to Calumet; his two sons, Chris and Louis, have lived
in Canadian county 41 years.

MR. AND MRS. H. C. RISSE, 1008 West Wade Street. The former was born in
Nauvoo, Illinois; came to El Reno Oct. 12, 1894, a year after he married, to
engage in the jewelry and repair business in which he is still active; has
been at 112 South Rock Island since 1901; Mrs. Risse, born in Coatsville,
Mo., married Oct. 14, 1893 at Parsons, Kansas.

MRS. E. V. ANDREWS, 723 South Miles avenue. Arrived at Fort Reno with
father, Sam Martin, two days before opening in 1889, from Florsville, Tex;
married Dec. 25, 1894; Mr. Andrews came to El Reno in 1890 from Liberal,
Kan; her father helped construct first house in El Reno.

J. H. BOYER arrived in Canadian county with his step-father, remained in
Canadian county for six months and then they returned to Missouri. They
returned, however in March 1894 and settled seven miles south and two and a
half miles west of El Reno. They moved to Calumet in 1908 where he still

MRS. J. M. BISWELL, mother of J.H. Boyer, came to Canadian county in 1894
and with her husband lives on the farm taken at that time.

ED R. SHEETS, 620 South Mitchell, was born four miles north and one mile
east of El Reno, and has spent the greater part of his life in this county.
Mrs. Sheets is also a member of the club.

R. L. JENNINGS, father of Mrs. E. R. Sheets, came to this county in 1889 and
filed on a farm northeast of El Reno which he later sold. He then moved to
a farm one half mile west of that place, where he now lives.

MRS. MINA CONNER, Banner route No. 1, has lived here 43 years and came to
Oklahoma in 1891 with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Allen, from Kansas.
She now lives in the place adjoining the one homesteaded by her parents. He
children now attend the school she attended when a girl.

MRS. ELIZABETH SCHLOSSER, 1100 East Conney, has made this her home all her
life, since she was born here in 1895 on a homestead 14 miles northeast of
El Reno. She has lived at her present address for four years.

CHARLES H. MITCHELL came to this county from No Man's Land where he arrived
in 1887 from Marion county, Kansas with his parents. He was born in 1881.

GOLD STOVER came to Canadian county 40 years ago from Texas with his father,
two sisters and brother. He was born in White county, Georgia, in 1887 and
now resides route No. 2 Geary.

MRS. ANNIE RICKETTS 125 North L. avenue, and her husband, the late Charles
F. Ricketts, homesteaded 160 acres two miles east and a half mile south of
Union City when they came to Canadian county in the run of '89. She was
born in Mills county, Iowa in 1855.

OTIS L. BRUCE, Okarche, lived in dugout after his entry into this county.
He was born in Emporia, Kansas in 1895 and came here with his parents in the
fall of 1897. He has lived in the Mount Zion neighborhood all his life.