OKGenWeb Notice: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material may not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
The creator copyrights ALL files on this site. The files may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from the OKGenWeb Coordinator, [okgenweb@cox.net], and their creator. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc. are. It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.

Indian Pioneer Papers - Index

Indian Pioneer History Project for Oklahoma
Date: February 18, 1937
Name: John B. Neeley
Post Office: No address given
Date of Birth: July 1, 1846
Place of Birth: Moscow, West Tennessee
Father: was James Neelly/Neeley
Place of Birth:
Information on father: died in 1848 at the age of 62
Mother: Tlitha Farrish
Place of birth:
Information on mother: died in 1863 at the age of 42
Field Worker: Breeland Adams
Interview  #????  pg 222-223

I was born July 1, 1846 in Moscow, West Tennessee. This town was on Memphis and Charleston Rail-road, one of the first railroads in America. It is now the Southern Railroad.

My mother was Tlitha Farrish. She died in 1863 at the age of 42. My father was James Neelly/Neeley. He died in 1848 at the age of 62. My people were all white, however, my grandmother was raised by the Cherokee Indians.

I lived in Moscow until I was 5 years old, then my parents moved to Colliersville, Tennessee, where I lived until I was 9 years old. They then moved to White Co., Arkansas, near Searcy. My home was there until I was about 50 years old.

One time in 1876 I came to Oklahoma, and worked on a construction gang of the Western Union Tele-graph Company. Most of our work was putting up poles and lines. This work was mostly around Eu-faula.  I was only here about a month. I do know much about the times then as I was busy with my work. I was relief Telegraph operator for the Western Union Telegraph Company for about 42 years. I was en-titled to a pension but never asked for it.

I came to Indian Territory in 1890, and have lived here since that time. I did not know much about the Green Peach War or the Crazy Snake Uprising. I know Pleasant POTTER and have seen Isparhecher many times. I was out to the land drawing at El Reno and drew an allotment of very good land. How-ever, there was a young widow on the place, and they would not put her off. One of the officials at the drawing, suggested that I take the land and the widow too. [Mr. Neeley said “But don’t say anything about that”] About 1906 I bought the place where I am now living from some Euchee Indians. At one time I owned 13 lots where the Irving school now is.

I bought land from P.N. BLACKSTONE, acting chief of the Cherokee Nation, in 1896. I contend that I still own this land, and the suit is in litigation now.

I worked for John G. [?] eiber for about 15 years in his drug store. I was clerk and sold theatre tickets for the operas. The store was on Court Street between 3rd and 4th .

When I was in the Civil War, I was stationed in the west most of the time. We were stationed in the west most of the time. We were stationed in North Texas and ordered to Missouri to participate in the raid which was headed by General PRICE. My company commander was Colonel CRABTREE, my brigade was Tom C. MCCORY, and my captain was Ben C. BLACK. I remember that we went through Fort Gibson on the march, but that is about all I remember about this.

Submitted to OKGenWeb by Pauline Phelps, May 1999.