OKGenWeb Notice: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material may not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
The creator copyrights ALL files on this site. The files may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from the OKGenWeb Coordinator, [okgenweb@cox.net], and their creator. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc. are. It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.

Indian Pioneer Papers - Index

Indian Pioneer History Project for Oklahoma
Date: January 24, 1938
Name: Carl Mayhue
Post Office: Wynnewood, Oklahoma
Residence Address:  
Date of Birth: November 6, 1865
Place of Birth:  Arkansas
Father:   J. L. Mayhue
Place of Birth:  Missouri
Information on father:
Mother:  Mary Black
Place of birth:  Missouri
Information on mother:
Field Worker: Maurice R. Anderson
Interview #: 9880

I was born in 1865, in Arkansas and lived there until 1870. Then Father and Mother moved to Texas and my father farmed there until 1885. At this date we moved to the Indian Territory as farming land was better there and one could get all the land they wanted to farm by leasing land from an Indian. My father leased one hundred acres for ten years and it only cost him one hundred dollars. We settled in the Chickasaw Nation near where Elmore City is now.

At that time my father would have to go to Texas for supplies. There was a store at Pauls Valley owned by Miller and Green and the store was located about one half mile south of where the present town of Pauls Valley is now.

There was a store and a government stage stand at Cherokee Town. Cherokee Town was located on the Washita River a few miles north of where Wynnewood is now and John Walner owned the store there at that time. There was a stage coming from Caddo to Fort Sill by Cherokee Town and Pauls Valley.

There were no railroads in this part of the country at that time and all freight shipped in and out of here was hauled by wagon trains, better called freight wagons. When we first moved to this country I have seen those wagons hauling freight from Caddo to Fort Sill. They would be working from four to six mules to a wagon and they would sometimes have a trial wagon hooked on behind the wagon the mules were hooked to.

The only officers we had then were United States Marshals and court was held at Paris, Texas, and Fort Smith, Arkansas. They started holding court at Pauls Valley in 1895, but they had been holding court a few years after the establishment of Federal courts at Muskogee, Ardmore and McAlester. A commissioners court was established at Pauls Valley in 1895.

One time my father and I had taken two bales of cotton to Gainesville, Texas, after having it ginned at Pauls Valley and on our way back we were met by two men who said they were United States Marshals. They searched our wagon. Father had bought a gallon of whiskey before we started back and he had taken a few drinks out of the gallon as the weather was very cold and the whiskey had made him nearly drunk. These two men took his whiskey and told me to take him on home and for me to tell him to appear at Pauls valley the next day and report to the United States Commissioner's Office. The next morning my father saddled his horse and rode into Pauls Valley. He reported to the United States Commissioner's Office but found out that he wasn't wanted. He was told that the two men must not have been United States Marshals and he never heard any more about it.

There were some very bad outlaws in the early days and on several trips to Texas with my father taking cotton to market I have heard men tell my father about being held up and robbed of their money after they had sold their cotton. We were only stopped one time, the time we lost that gallon of whiskey. For several years after settling in this country we hauled our cotton to Texas.

We raised quite a number of cattle. In the early days there was free range and the prairie grass was knee-high. We didn't have to feed cattle then. Grass was plentiful and the cattle would have grazing all winter.

The railroad was built through this part of the country in 1886. My father worked with his team some on this railroad while it was being built through where Wynnewood is now. He was helping clear the right-of-way. The town of Wynnewood started building in 1887 and John Walner owned the first store in Wynnewood. It was in 1887 that the first passenger train went over this road.

In the early days we didn't have to buy things like we do today. We raised everything we could and there were plenty of deer and turkey and I have seen hundreds of prairie chicken in one bunch. Quails and rabbits were also plentiful.

There were very few fences then and very few roads. From where we lived to Pauls Valley there wasn't a wire fence. I few miles before getting to Pauls Valley there was a small farm fenced with rails.

The farm we settled on had a two-room, log house but none of the land was fenced. The second year we lived on this farm we fenced the land we had in cultivation with poles and rails.

We moved to Texas in 1900 and I came back to Oklahoma in 1908. I came on the train this time and Wynnewood was as near as I could get to Pauls Valley, as the Washita River was out over Pauls Valley and had washed away part of the railroad track. The water only stayed out of banks a few days. At that time Pauls Valley and Wynnewood had a fight on to see which one was going to get the county seat. Pauls Valley won, although there was water all over town. I didn't vote in that election but I have heard men say that they went from house to house in boats hauling men and women so they could vote. Elmore City was in that election fight. Elmore was trying to get the county seat.

I rented a farm near Wynnewood in 1908 and moved my family from Texas and have lived here since.

Transcribed for OKGenWeb by Brenda Choate.