Ghost Towns of Seminole County

Arbeka-extreme NE corner of the county. Also a post office from Sept. 10, 1883, to Dec. 14, 1907.  DoT list places it in 9-11N-6E The topographic map shows the Arbeka Church in the NE corner of that section, at Lat. 35 26" 58', Long. 96 27' 33". 
 
Beirut-Near Bowlegs. A post office from Jan. 23, 1928 to April 15, 1935.  Sec 26 8N-6E
 
Belle-Near Wewoka. A post office from Mar. 1, 1910 to Dec. 31, 1913. Sec 3 7N-7E
 
Berg- eastern part of the county, adjoining Wewoka. a post office from Mar. 22, 1912 to Mar. 31, 1915. Sec 3 7N-7E
 
Butner- Eight miles northeast of Wewoka, a post office from June 1, 1903 to Nov. 30, 1906. Named for Thomas Butner, early day settler. 10-9N-8E On 1915 map.  GNIS: Lat. 35 15" 39', Long. 96 27' 31".  
 
Dewright- Seven miles southeast of Maud. A post office from June 24, 1931 to July 15, 1939. named for Dewey WRIGHT first postmaster. Sec 16 7N-5E
 
Dora- SW part of County near Konawa. A post office from July 17, 1906 to Dec. 31. 1909.  The DoT list places it in  29-7N-6E  On 1915 map. Topozone: Dora Cemetery at Lat. 35 02" 36', Long. 96 42' 30".  
 
Econtuchka-extreme NW part of county. A post office from Sept. 15, 1881 to Nov. 30, 1907/ Pm Oct/ 19, 1899, the po was established slightly to the west as a new site in Pottawatomie Nation. The name is the Seminole and Creek word meaning a "surveyed line".  Sec ? 11N-5E On 1915 map.
 
Emahaka- On the line between Seminole and Hughes Counties, 5 miles south of Wewoka. A post office from Jan. 23, 1895, to July 16, 1906. Site of Emahaka Academy, established in 1893 by the Seminole Nation as a school for girls. The word is a Seminole word, meaning literally, "girls school"; Sec 7 7N-8E 
 
Haney-Ten miles NE of Seminole. A post office from Feb. 17, 1908 to Nov. 30, 1916. Named for Rev. Willie Haney, prominent Seminole. Sec 22 10N 7E
 
Hazel-Six miles north of Konawa. A post office from July 31, 1906, to Mar. 24, 1943. Named for Hazel Whalen, of Ada-an official of the Oklahoma City, Ada and Atoka Railway. Sec 25 7N 5E
 
Heliswa-Five miles NW of Seminole. A post office from Jan. 10, 1891 to Nov. 27, 1895. The name is from the Creek word Heleswv, meaning "medicine". Sec ? 10N 6E
 
Irene-Six miles S of Boley. A post office from Oct. 31, 1903 to Nov.. 28, 1907/ Ma,ed for Irene Davis, the late Mrs. W. S. Key of Oklahoma City, daughter of Chief Alice Brown Davis, Seminole leader. On Dec. 19, 1907, a post office named Schoolton was established at approximately this same site. 27 10N 8E
 
Lima-Six miles SE of Seminole. A post office from July 17, 1907 to Aug. 23, 1957. 8-8N-7E On 1915 map.
 
Little-In the N part of the county. Eight miles N of Seminole. A post office from Aug. 14, 1902 to Nov. 30, 1916. It was named for Thomas Little, prominent Seminole and second chief of the tribe. The DoT list places it in 11-10N-6E. On 1915 map. GNIS: 35 20" 53', Long. 96 40' 18".  
 
Mekasukey-Three miles SW of Seminole. A post office from Oct. 17, 1894 to Feb. 28, 1915. Site of Mekasukey Academy, est. in 1892 as a Seminole school for boys. The Creek word Mekko-tku-cuko, originally meaning "where the chiefs meet:, but which later developed the meaning "place where Christianity is taught.". 5-8N-6E On 1915 map.
 
Schoolton- Six miles S of Boley. A post office from Dec. 19, 1907 to June 30, 1917. Until Nov. 18, 1907, a post office named Irene had been located at this approximate location. The name was selected by William P. Weston, local educator, in recognition of plans for a fine school system. The DoT list places it in 27-11N-8E  GNIS: 35 23" 30', Long. 96 27' 30".  
 
Snomack-Four miles SE of Bowlegs. A post office from Oct. 11, 1928, to Dec. 31, 1955. The name was coined from Snowden and McSweeney, the developers who drilled the discovery well. Sec 11 8N-6E
 
Sylvian-Six miles W of Cromwell. A post office from Feb. 7, 1907 to Apr. 30, 1935. Named selected by the wife of first postmaster, W. T. Stavely, because the site was "surrounded by a wonderful wood area". The DoT list places it in 10-10N-7E On 1915 map. GNIS: 35 20" 52', Long. 96 33' 55".  
 
Tate-Six miles S of Wewoka. A post office from June 1, 1903 to Nov. 30, 1906. Named for H. M. Tate, attorney and US commissioner. The DoT list places it in 19-7N-8E On 1915 map.
 
Thrace-Eight miles S of Seminole. Post office from May 22, 1906 to Feb. 15, 1911. Its name comes from that of ancient country adjoining Macedonia. Sec 3 7N-6E On 1915 map.
 
Tidmore-Present Seminole. Post office established May 17, 1902 and named changed to Seminole Feb. 6, 1907. Named for Joe Tidmore, a contractor for the erection of Mekasukey Mission. Sec 29 9N-6E