Okfuskee County District Court
Named for a Creek town in Cleburn County, Alabama,
Okfuskee County was originally part of the
Creek Nation, Indian Territory. Much
of its history is tied to that of the Creek Nation. For example,
Town, established in the 1830's, became the headquarters of
Colonel D. H.
Cooper's Confederate forces in 1861, prior to battles with Opothleyahola and the
From 1802 to 1825, this land was termed the
"Missouri Territory" and was open to exploration and settlement. By
1825, it was closed to white settlement and established as a United States
Indian Reservation. The Creek Nation owned and governed this area from 1859 to
near statehood. The land was allotted to individual Creek Nation citizens,
including the freedman. Oklahoma became a state in 1907. Several towns vied to
be the county seat of Okfuskee County including Weleetka and Castle, after
statehood but Okemah has always had that distinction.
Also, Okemah, the county seat, is named for the Creek chief
Okemah meaning "Big Chief." Two of Okemah's most noted residents were
Leon Chase Phillips, 11th governor of Oklahoma, and noted American songwriter
Boley, founded in 1904 on 80 acres of land belonging to a
Creek freedman, is one of the few black towns remaining in the United States.
Established to demonstrate the ability of the black community to govern itself,
it thrived for many years before the Farmer's State Bank was robbed and in the
process D. J. Turner and the mayor of Boley were shot and killed.