Indian Pioneer Papers - Index
History Project for Oklahoma
Effie B. Jackson
Post Office: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Date of Birth:
Place of Birth:
Place of Birth:
Information on father:
Place of birth:
Information on mother:
As nearly as can
now be ascertained the first marriages here were those of J. W. Aracher [ARCHER]
and Miss Florence ETTER, and E. F. MOORE and Miss Hattie GILLISS,
which were solemnized together in September, 1883. At that time, no one
having authority to perform the ceremony lived in Tulsa, so parties were
compelled to resort to the residence of Rev. T. W. PERRYMAN near Broken
Arrow, about twenty miles.
Other early marriages
were ______ and Sarah E. CROWELL, in the early autumn of 188?. After
which A. D. ORCUTT and Adaline HODGE were married a little later
in the same year. So far as is known the marriages of the next years were:
E. T. STAFFLEBEEM and Nanie LENOX; Frank SINETT and Josie BRILEY; and George
H. MCELROY and Joannie HODGE.
The first birth
is believed to be that of Johnie SORRELL in August, 1883. The second, ?Willie
CROWELL May 13th 1884. (This child came to his death at the age of three
by choking on a grain of coffee)….
Vol. 31, p. 8
CRANE and LAIMER went
out of the ranching business. Like the 3-D ranch, scattered grazing areas
gave way to oil development. Pumping wells dot this vast area today. The
southeast corner is an exclusive residence district of Tulsa with out-lying
well-developed suburban additions.
GEORGE PERRYMAN RANCH
In 1882 George PERRYMAN,
brother of Legus Perryman, (one of the leaders of the Creek Nation, later
a chief), got permission from the Creek Council to fence in a certain described
area, paying three cents per acre rental. This was to be a strip
ten miles wide (east and west), starting at the Osage, Cherokee, Creek
corner, to follow the Cherokee line ten miles east, then about 12 miles
south (where Broken Arrow is today), then west to the Arkansas river, north
to point of beginning. The fence skipped the corner where the village
of Tulsa was, starting from the stock-yards (the at Lewis and Frisco tracks).
Later Perryman extended his holding east to the Verdigris.
Perryman subleased the
major part of his holding, to J. M. DAUGHERTY and PIERCE and FORSYTHE.
He retained the area south of Tulsa, from what is now 21st ST. to about
what is 81st street west to the Arkansas river, east to Lewis Avenue (today).
On 34th street (today),
about half way between Lewis and Peoria Ave. was the “Old Log House”, old
type big double log, center opening, ranch headquarters, easily housed
15 cowboys. This was built in the 70’s and has been torn down.
This was the location of the Tulsa’s first postoffice, when the Star mail
route from Muskogee was established in 1878, at George Perryman’s house.
“The White House”, famous
as the most pretentious home in this part of the country in early days,
was built in 1884. It is located on 41st street about half way between
Lewis and Peoria Avenues (a special report to be made). George Perryman’s
daughter, Ella HORNER, still lives there. The lumber to build this
was hauled overland from Coffeyville, Kansas. Later Perryman built
another pretentious home, uptown in the center of the block where the Tulsa
County Court house now stands.
This Perryman ranch was
later divided into allotments for respective members of the family and
today these grants have become most exclusive residence sections and small
MOSE PERRYMAN RANCH
In 1883 George Perryman
leased the land across the Arkansas river lying between what is today Jenks
and Glen Pool. This was very fine bottom land. His headquarters
were on Coal creek. This later became the allotment of his son, Mose
Perryman, and was known by his brand as the Figure 5 ranch (5). The
widow of Mose Perryman still lives there today in the old ranch house.
Lon STANSBERRY told me that it had one of the finest springs in the
country and that many a time he cooked craw-dad legs in his oatmeal on
In 1893 Jay FORSYTHE
(a Texas cattleman) leased the HOGAN pasture of about 10,000 acres (in
the bend of the Arkansas, southeast of Bixby), and from George PERRYMAN
all pastures between what is today 81st St. on the north to the Arkansas
river on the south and west, on the east to the Daugherty ranch... As Bill
MCCUILLOUGH (who was their foreman) says, “The Pierce and Forsythe ranch
included the Mingo pastures, Hogan pasture, U pasture and Two Circle Bar,
practically all the land lying between 81st St. (today) on the north and
Broken Arrow on the south.
Shanghai PIERCE was a
noted Texas cattleman from Galveston and later formed a partnership with
Forsythe. Headquarters for this ranch was on Mingo creek, one mile....
Vol. 30, p. 500-502
by Joan Case <email@example.com> 02-1999.