Indian Pioneer History Project for Oklahoma
Date: February 23, 1937
Post Office: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Date of Birth:
Place of Birth:
Place of Birth:
Information on father:
Place of birth:
Information on mother:
Field Worker: L. Partridge
A stone's throw from the Falls of Hominy Creek, there is a family cemetery where lie Peter Augustus CAPTAIN and his wife, the parents of Rosa M. HOOTS of Tulsa. Mrs. Hoots related to Mr. Partridge the following facts concerning her knowledge of those early times.
In the year 1873 there was located on the spot, where now is the cemetery, a thriving little store which was the trading post for the Osage Indians and some Quapaws, and early white settlers who lived in the vicinity. The store was built and owned by Peter Augustus Captain and a man by the name of COFFEY. They sent wagons to Independence, Kansas, for their coffee, flour, dry goods, etc., which they traded to the Indians for buffalo hides. These buffalo hides accumulated so, that they were even put out into the yard, and upon them, little Rosa and the other children played.
During the Civil War, Peter Augustus Captain, or "Ogeese" Captain as he was called by the Osages, lived with his wife at the Osage Mission, which is now St. Paul in Neosho County, Kans. From there he moved to Independence, but in 1873 he moved to Hominy in the Indian Territory, in what was then known as the Osage Nation and which is now Osage County.
One of the Oklahoma's land marks is a two story rock house which was built by Mr. Captain on the north side of Hominy Creek abut ½ mile from the store. The rocks for this house were quarried from canyons in the neighborhood, by a French stonemason by the name of Joe BARTELLE, and two years were required for its completion. It is somewhat saddening to know that just before the family moved into their new home, Mr. Captain died.
In the course of her conversation Mrs. Hoots stated that "buffalo wallows" were places where buffalo gathered for shade under clumps of trees near hills, or on "hard pan" soil in which no pasture grew but which sometimes contained salt.
Often when the Osages came with their buffalo hides to trade with "Ogeese" Captain, they made camp for several days, and often he allowed them to hold council in his home.
Name: Rosa Magnet Captain
Born: May 1, 1859 in Osage Mission, KS
Died: 1917 in Tulsa, OK
Buried: Captain Cemetery, Osage Co., OK
Married: Alfred Worth Hoots, February 11, 1886
Notes: Rosa was owner of Black Gold, the 1924 Kentucky Derby winner.
Submitted to OKGenWeb by