OKGenWeb Notice: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material may not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
The creator copyrights ALL files on this site. The files may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from the OKGenWeb Coordinator, [okgenweb@cox.net], and their creator. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc. are. It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.

Indian Pioneer Papers - Index

Indian Pioneer History Project for Oklahoma
Date: March 12, 1938
Name: Joel Dyer's Burial Ground
Founded: March 12, 1838 By Simon FOBB
Abandoned: Moved away 1912
Present owners of premises: Joel DYER
Address of present owner: Teal LEWIS, Negro
Approximate number of graves: 5
Approximate number of marked graves: 1
Condition of the premises: Headstone had fallen. Small one of little J.J. DYER, died in 1903.
Legal location of burial ground: County McCurtain Section 24 Township 16 Range 26E.
Field Worker: Levina R. BEAVERS
Volume 111--microfiche #6016976


These graves were found by Simon FOBB who lives four miles Southeast of Eagletown. He said Moses DYER, who is buried there, was Reverend James DYER's father, who lived there long years ago. In 1836 his wife died and is buried there.

Joel DYER and Colson DYER, sons, were buried in 1840-1842. His mother's name was Lardy DYER and she also died and was buried there.

Beside the family, two men, John HOMER and Wallace HOMER, are in the cemetery.

There is a large red oak tree standing by the graves. The headstone of a little boy was down and large bushes have grown all over the graves.

The cemetery is located on the old DYER Plantation three miles southeast of Eagletown.

Submitted to OKGenWeb by Gay Wall <t31892@nidlink.com> 05-1999.