OKGenWeb Notice: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material may not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
The creator copyrights ALL files on this site. The files may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from the OKGenWeb Coordinator, [okgenweb@cox.net], and their creator. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc. are. It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.

Indian Pioneer Papers - Index

Indian Pioneer History Project for Oklahoma 
LDS Microfiche #6016976 
Volume 111 - Cemeteries 

Cemeteries - Creek
date: April 20, 1937
burial ground: Boudinot Cemetery aka Brewer Cemetery
founded: abt 1840 by: John Brewer
# of graves: 35
# of marked graves: 12
inscriptions: 6
legal location: Muskogee County, Section 8, T14N, R20E
field workers: James S. Buchanan - Carl Sherwood

Boudinot Cemetery

This place has been known for years as the Boudinot Cemetery, but in reality it was founded by the original owner, John BREWER about 1840. In later years this property was owned by a man by the name of DAMBACH, pronounced "Dumbaw", who was a German. In 1869 Wm. Penn BOUDINOT traded a place that he had improved on Big Greenleaf Creek to Mr. Dambach for the Brewer place upon which this burial ground is situated. Mr. Boudinot retained this property and made it his home until 1883, when with his family he moved to Tahlequah. The original Brewer burial plot is about fifty feet square with native stone wall inclosure about four feet high.

There are twelve graves inside the inclosure. This burial plot is located about one hundred fifty yards east of No. 10 highway, three miles north of Braggs and is visible from the highway. About one hundred yards south of the burial ground can be found the remains of the foundation, basement and fireplace of the Old Brewer, or Boudinot home. 

I was informed by Mrs. Elinor MEIGS, daughter of William Penn Boudinot, that when she was a very little girl, she was present and listened to the conversation between her father and Mr. Dambach when her father traded places with Dambach and came in to possession of the Brewer property in 1869.

The tomb of Thomas F. Brewer is beautiful. It was constructed from native stone by a stone mason by the name of POTTS.

Submitted to OKGenWeb by Gay Wall, February 2000.